Thursday, June 7, 2012

Amusing Ourselves to Death?

Feeling very overwhelmed at the moment with all the new information coming my way via Twitter, blogs and RSS feeds...

But unlike Orwell's 1984 were the government controls all the information, or  Huxley's Brave New World in which people no longer seem to care about information, are we more like Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death where we stop paying attention because there is just too much?

I don't want the form to become the function so perhaps I should just treat it all like a giant buffet (is that French for bad food you have to get yourself?) or smorgasbord (is that Swedish for bad food in gravy you have to get yourself?) and try what looks appetizing, knowing that I can always go back and try something new, or get more of something I like; with a new clean plate of course.

I'll glean the results that show up, avoiding the junk and looking for the pearls and thereby "glean what afflicts me" (bastardized from Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead).

Tongue firmly in cheek.

No comments:

Post a Comment